Surfboard Auction: Billabong Art of Shaping LA County Edition
The surfboards of legendary Los Angeles area craftsman on the block at the Sacred Craft Expo
Encinitas, Ca., (September 19, 2011)
– – Billabong USA is proud to announce the fourth annual “Billabong Art of Shaping Event” to be held October 8th and 9th 2011 at the Sacred Craft Consumer Surfboard Expo at the Del Mar Fairgrounds in Del Mar, CA. This years’ “Billabong Art of Shaping: Los Angeles County Edition” event will feature many of the top shapers in or originating from the hotbed of Los Angeles county.
The list of confirmed participating shapers includes Scott Anderson, Joe Bark, Jose Barahona, Clyde Beatty, Matt Calvani, Lance Carson, Bing Copeland, Robbie Dick, Bruce Grant, Tyler Hatzikian, Brian Hilbers, Jeff Ho, Hap Jacobs, Dennis Jarvis, Don Kadowaki, Glen Kennedy, Greg Liddle, Casey McCrystal, Jed Noll, Pat Ryan, Mike Stavros, Jeff Stoner, Jerry O’Keefe and Michael Zippi.
“The crew at Billabong have again stepped up with a fantastic event. Billabong truly understands the transcendent significance of the surfboard and surfboard builders within our culture,” said Scott Bass, Sacred Craft Expo Director. “We’re excited, as the auction will be a highlight of the expo, and further proof that Billabong has surfboards in their DNA.”
The intention of Billabong’s 2011 Art of Shaping Los Angeles County Edition Event is to showcase and pay tribute to LA shapers and their invaluable accomplishments and contributions to the art of surfboard building over the last five decades. Close examination of the list of invitees will reveal shapers from each decade that collectively have established the notable reputation of LA County.
The concept of the “Billabong Art of Shaping Event” is simple; it is a venue to showcase the talent of LA County surfboard shapers and craftsmen by allowing them to build boards that highlight their particular contribution or influence on the evolution of the surfboard over a particular span in time. Shapers are invited and encouraged to “create a board representing the era, style, or shape they are best known for or relate to”; or, whatever best motivates their creativity and talent.
The shapers entry is then placed on display in The Billabong Art of Shaping showcase and auction arena at the Sacred Craft consumer surfboard expo along with full sized images of the shaper himself and a profile that includes information on the board he chose to build, his company or label, and his shaping history or career. These images will be turned over to the shaper at the close of the event.
The “Billabong Art of Shaping LA County Event” is a charity event, the winner of the competition is the shaper of the board that brings in the highest auction price at the Live Auction held Saturday night, October 8th; and thus becomes the largest single donor to 2011 SIMA Humanitarian Fund Grant recipients, the beneficiaries chosen for this years’ “Billabong Art of Shaping Event”.
How it Works
All invited participating shapers received a check from Billabong for $600 to be used towards materials. The shaper is then free to submit whatever type of board he deems appropriate; knowing he will be in friendly competition with his peers to win bragging rights for winning the “Billabong Art of Shaping Los Angeles County Event”, along with the winner’s check from Billabong for $2,000. The runner up will receive a free full page ad in SURFING Magazine’s “Board Builder’s Issue”, the second runner up will receive a free full page ad in SURFER Magazine’s “Board Builder’s Issue”. This year we will also be setting one lucky shaper up with a brand new planer from Accurate Planers.
Schedule of Events
The Billabong Art of Shaping will be displayed on the floor of the Sacred Craft Consumer Surfboard Expo at the Del Mar Fairgrounds on October 8th and 9th 2011.
Each board will be highlighted with a photo banner of the shaper and a written profile on a podium stand along the outside perimeter of the velvet roped display. During the course of the shows guests are invited to view the boards and read the stories about the individual boards and shapers. The booths will be hosted by members of the Art of Shaping LA County Advisory Board; which is made up of Mark Richards from Val Surf, Todd Roberts from ZJ Boarding House, Daniel Del Castillo of ET Surf, Dickie O’Reilly of Spyder and John Leininger of Becker Surfboards and Royce Cansler and Darin Bradley from Billabong, collectively we’ll have an extensive knowledge of LA shapers and their accomplishments. Of course every shaper in the event is encouraged to attend or drop by and hang out, as many have done in past years’ events.
On Saturday evening beginning at 6 PM as the Sacred Craft Expo Floor closes for the day there will be a Shapers Reception and Live Auction for attendees from Sacred Craft. From 6 PM on guests can grab a beer or a glass of wine, view the boards and settle in for a live auction that will begin at 7:00 PM that is sure to be exciting.
Sacred Craft exhibits/events lined up including:
- Tribute to the Masters Shape-off honoring Carl Ekstrom presented by US Blanks
- Billabong Art of Shaping LA County Edition Auction
- Sustainable Craft Showcase
- The Soul Project Quivers Lounge
- The Art Grotto “Board Art Benefit” – Surf Aid International
- KorduroyTV Vid Shorts Lounge
- Antique Roadshow Style Surfboard & Memorabilia Appraisals
- PRIMO Beer Flowing
- SurfersVillage Music Stage Surfers for Surfers featuring School of Rock VTeam
- Longboard Skate Zone Demo Tarp/Ramp/Cone combo
- …LOST Skates Grom Slalom Challenge!
- Demo morning 15th St. – Ride the Sacred Craft boards Sunday morning!
- Book signings: Chris Dixon’s Ghost Wave: The Discovery of Cortes Bank and the Biggest Wave on Earth; Mike Hynson’s Transcendental Memories of a Surf Rebel ; Mickey Munoz’s No Bad Waves, Talking Story with Mickey Munoz
- Surfboard giveaways
- Great Deals on surfboards, wetsuits, LB skateboards, art, gear and more.
Sacred Craft brings together surfboard lovers in what has become the surfboard industry gathering. Passion for surfboards and the authentic culture that flows forth never goes out of style.
- WHO: Surfers, shapers, and surfboard manufacturers
- WHAT: Two days of surfboard heaven
- WHEN: October 8 & 9, 2011
- WHERE: Del Mar Fairgrounds
- WHY: Because surfers care about two things: waves and the equipment to ride them with
- HOW: $10 at the door; kids 12 & under free / Free Subscription to SURFER magazine
Two reasons to drool in Del Mar on Oct 8 & 9. Fine food and fine surfboards!
The Gourmet Experience Cooking and Home Entertaining Showcase will be taking place at the DM Fairgrounds right next door to the Sacred Craft Consumer Surfboard Expo. The Gourmet Expo will be featuring a Fish Taco TKO competition! The Del Mar Fairgrounds on October 8 & 9, a great way to spend your weekend and get a jump on Holiday shopping.